Another day, another beetroot recipe! But we’re not complaining about that are we? And there’s nothing like a big pile of grilled vegetables to make me feel like it’s actually summer, despite the horrible weather! Today’s recipe combines grilled vegetables in a thick, rich roasted pepper, carrot and beetroot sauce. I whipped up some spinach and cauliflower rice to go with it and I was not disappointed! I can imagine eating this sauce on its own, with pasta, with rice, with cous cous, hot, cold…you name it! I’m surprised I got any photos of it at all!
(Full instructions at the bottom of the page)
Add the peppers and carrots from the pan to a foil lined tray. Add tomatoes. Season. Roast in preheated oven at 190c/375f for 40 minutes. Cut ends off garlic, wrap in foil and spray with oil. Pop in the oven with the veg. Prepare the rest of the veg.
When roasted, add the vegetables, beetroot, garlic, thyme, balsamic vinegar and soy sauce to blender. Season.
Blend until it reaches a smooth consistency (no thyme stalks!)
Grilled Veg in a Roasted Pepper, Carrot and Beetroot Sauce
Roasted Pepper, Carrot and Beetroot Sauce
- 2 bell peppers – halved and de-seeded
- 2 cups carrot – cut into chunks
- 4 medium sized tomatoes – quartered
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 150g cooked beetroot – feel free to cook/roast it yourself!
- 2 tbsp (15ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp (10ml) soy sauce
- spray oil
- 1/2 cup fresh thyme
- black pepper
- 2 cups onion – cut into wedges
- 2 bell peppers – cut into chunks
- 1 cup courgette/zucchini – cut into chunks
- 2 cups mushrooms – quartered
Spinach and Cauliflower Rice
- 2 cups cauliflower – measure after grating/food processing
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- olive oil – I used spray oil
- 1 tbsp (15ml) soy sauce – I used light/reduced salt
- black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190c/375f.
- Halve and de-seed the 2 bell peppers for the sauce, and chop and peel the carrots. Put in a pan and cover with boiling water. Boil on medium heat for 15 minutes. Chop the tomatoes.
- Line a tray with foil and add the peppers and carrots from the pan, along with the tomatoes. Spray with oil and season with black pepper, a few drops of balsamic and some fresh thyme. Chop the ends off the garlic, wrap in foil and spray with oil. Pop both in the oven for 40 minutes and prepare the rest of the vegetables whilst waiting.
- When roasted, add the vegetables, the cooked beetroot, garlic, thyme, balsamic, soy sauce and black pepper to a food processor. Blend until you have acquired a smooth consistency (no thyme stalks! – feel free to chop beforehand). Leave to one side.
- Pop the vegetables for grilling onto the grill (I use a George Foreman) and cook for 15 minutes.
- While the vegetables are grilling, add some oil and the cauliflower rice to a pan and sauté over a medium heat for 15 minutes.
- After 10 minutes add the spinach, soy sauce and black pepper.
- When grilled, pop the vegetables into a pan with the roasted pepper, carrot and beetroot sauce and heat for a few minutes.
- Serve the cauliflower rice with the grilled veg and roasted pepper, carrot and beetroot sauce on top.