Finally! A recipe where I haven’t decided to incorporate some stir fry! Though I was sorely tempted, believe me. Today’s Beetroot and Thyme Grilled Veg Salad was made to satisfy my cravings for a lovely and cool, yet filling salad. You may notice a rather giant pile of food in the photographs, but as someone who often eats a dinner consisting of only vegetables (no grains or substitutes), I try and make an extra large and hearty portion. Plus I stave off the eventual disappointment of having finished… at least for a little while. This recipe can be enjoyed either hot or cold, I enjoy it either way – but try not to eat it all before it has cooled!
(Full recipe instructions at the bottom of the page)
Blend the ingredients for the Beetroot and Thyme Sauce in a food processor…
…until it reaches a somewhat smooth consistency.
After preparing the veg, pop it on the grill.
Cook for 15 minutes.
Throw some zoodles into a pan and cook for 3 minutes.
When the veg has finished grilling, pop it into the pan with the zoodles.
Stir to combine and add the Beetroot and Thyme Sauce. Heat for a minute or two.
Serve on a bed of leafy salad. Enjoy!
Beetroot and Thyme Grilled Veg Salad
Beetroot and Thyme Sauce
- 150g cooked beetroot – I bought mine pre-cooked(!)
- 2 cloves of garlic – crushed
- 1/2 cup fresh thyme
- 1 cup spinach
- 2 tbsp (30ml) balsamic vinegar
- black pepper
- 2 cups onion – cut into wedges
- 1 cup courgette/zucchini – chopped into chunks
- 2 cups mushrooms – quartered
- 1 bell pepper – chopped into chunks
- 2 cloves of garlic – sliced
- spray oil
- 1 cup courgette/zucchini – made into zoodles using a spiralizer or vegetable peeler
- 1 tbsp (15ml) soy sauce – I used light/reduced salt
- spray oil
- leafy green salad
- 1/2 cup tomatoes – cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup cucumber – cut into chunks
- Prepare the ingredients for the Beetroot and Thyme Sauce, add them to a food processor and blend until a somewhat smooth consistency is acquired. Season with black pepper to taste.
- Prepare the ingredients for the Grilled Veg and pop them on the grill (I use a George Foreman) for 15 minutes.
- While the veg is cooking, prepare the zoodles and the salad. When the veg is almost cooked, add the oil, soy sauce and zoodles to a pan and cook over a medium heat for 3 minutes.
- When both cooked, add the Grilled Veg followed by the Beetroot and Thyme Sauce to the pan of zoodles.
- Stir over a medium heat for a minute or two until heated through. Season liberally with black pepper.
- Arrange leafy green salad with tomato and cucumber on plates.
- If serving hot, serve the Beetroot and Thyme Grilled Veg immediately.
- If serving cold, allow the mix to cool before adding to plate.