I woke up to my alarm this morning thinking ‘ahhh Sunday’ and was bitterly disappointed when the chorus of alarms continued to sound and discovered it was Monday after all. Such disappointment! After a day on my feet all I wanted was something tasty, filling and full of veg when I came home. Having not gone shopping for a week or so, I looked in my fridge and discovered that I had pretty much the same ingredients to hand as when I made my Balsamic Roasted Veg Stir Fry. But we can work with that can’t we?
Of course we can! Today’s recipe, Lemony Sage and Thyme Stuffed Peppers, combines sautéed vegetables and cauliflower rice in a lemon, balsamic and fresh herb sauce with beautiful oven roasted peppers. This recipe would go perfectly with a salad or a hearty grain (or a combination of the two!). I however, in my need to use up ingredients, paired the stuffed peppers with.. you guessed it – stir fry! I do love my stir fry, and it’s always interesting to try out new recipes with exactly the same ingredients… well that’s my story and I’m sticking to it!
(Full recipe instructions at the bottom of the page)
Lemony Sage and Thyme Stuffed Peppers
- 2 bell peppers – halved and de-seeded
- 1 1/2 cup onion – finely diced
- 1 cup courgette/zucchini – diced
- 2 cups mushrooms – quartered
- 2 1/2 cups cauliflower – measure after grating or food processing into cauliflower rice
- 6 cloves of garlic – crushed
- 3 tbsp (45ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp 1 tsp (20ml) lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30ml) soy sauce – I used light/reduced salt
- a few sprigs of fresh thyme
- a few sprigs of fresh sage
- olive oil – I used spray oil
- black pepper
- 2 cups (200g) bean sprouts
- 2 cup (200g) white and green cabbage – shredded
- 1 cup (50g) carrot – grated
- 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15ml) balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp (10ml) soy sauce – I used light/reduced salt
- black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190c/375f.
- Halve and de-seed the bell peppers, put in a pan and cover with boiling water. Boil on medium heat for 10 minutes and prepare the rest of the vegetables for the stuffed peppers.
- Place the pepper halves on a foil lined tray, spray or brush with oil, and put in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Sauté the onions over a medium heat in a little olive oil and 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar. Add the crushed garlic after 5 minutes and stir.
- After 2 minutes add the courgette/zucchini, mushrooms and cauliflower rice.
- Season liberally with black pepper and add the rest of the balsamic vinegar and soy sauce.
- After 10 minutes add the lemon juice and the torn or chopped fresh herbs. Stir to combine. Season with black pepper to taste.
- Take the pepper halves out of the oven and stuff evenly with the mixture. Sprinkle with a little fresh thyme. If there is any mixture left over you can use it in the stir fry.
- Put the peppers back in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Prepare the vegetables for the stir fry. After 10 minutes add the stir fry ingredients to a wok and cook over a high heat for 5 minutes.
- Serve the stir fry on a plate with two stuffed pepper halves on top